03 Aug How To Detox Your Skin And Improve Perioral Dermatitis
When you are looking for advice on perioral dermatitis or any skin problem for that matter the internet is flooded with opinions and information. It can be so hard to know what is the right thing for you to do and where do you start when it comes to healing your skin. I have been there and I know how hard it can be.
One of the big topics I would read about would be detoxifying your skin so for me this was an area that I started with, but not necessarily in the way you see it all over the internet.
How To Detox Your Skin And Improve Perioral Dermatitis
Your skin is a natural detoxification pathway but the biggest and most powerful pathways your body detoxifies is via your liver. If your liver is congested and not functioning properly this is often represented in the health of your skin. So no matter what you put on your skin to cleanse and clear it unless you look at your liver you will never fix the underlying issue. At the same time you work on your liver you need to think about reasons why your liver may be congested? Is this due to poor diet, bad digestion, bad environmental loads or some other reasons.
For improved skin health one of the important areas to focus on is inflammation and when the body is inflamed it needs antioxidants. Antioxidants fight off the damaging free oxygen radicals and are involved in signaling the inflammatory mediators making them crucial for the developing of healthy skin cells.
If your detoxification pathways are overloaded it will also deplete your store of antioxidants and increase inflammation in the body. When inflammation is present no matter where, you will have fewer antioxidants and antioxidants are vital in supporting optimal liver function.
So when it comes to perioral dermatitis your body has a limited supply of antioxidants so in order to help it heal and create clear skin you need to ensure you are doing what you can to enhance this in your body.
Reduce Toxic Exposure
This means both internally and externally. So cleaning up your diet and eating a anti inflammatory diet that aids in proper digestive function and absorbing of minerals. The one I recommend is an autoimmune protocol. Then you need to remove chemicals and additives from your skin care. This is why I choose to do oil cleansing for my face to keep things really simple and easy for my skin to recover. Then lastly we need to remove toxic exposure from the environment, cigarette smoke (first and second hand), paint fumes, nonorganic cleaning products, pesticides, BPA and other hormonal compounds from plastic.
Enhance Toxic Removal
Once you have reduced the exposure to toxins we need to create an environment in our body that allows toxins to get out of our cells. Here are 3 ways that help with this.
1. Sweat with exercise. Do workouts such as HIITs like in the online gym that get your heart rate up. Toxins are stored in our fat cells, so we want to get our body burning body fat to help release stored toxins and when you sweat this helps remove the water-soluble toxins out of your body.
2. Move more. Our bodies are designed to move, our lymphatic drainage pumps are located by big pumping veins that naturally pump blood around the body when we move. If you are sedentary those pumps and therefore your lymphatic system become sluggish. By simply moving more you are going to help the natural detoxification pumps within your body to do there job. They work like a filtration system to help remove and push things through your body. Keep that filtration system pumping.
3. Eat 3 square meals a day to allow your body to do some clearing out between meals. A lot of recovery and repair happens between meal windows and when you are constantly directing metabolic energy to the next meal you can lose that window of opportunity. I think 3 square meals at regular time frames are the best way to go.
4. Get a good 8+ hours of sleep per night and why not aim for 9-10 if you can. If your body is tired, give it the sleep it needs. Sleep in, take naps. Sleep is vital and so important when it comes to detoxification. Make sure you sleep in a cold dark and quiet room.
5. As much as you sleep in a dark room, ensure you are getting adequate daylight each day in the mid day light. This is vital for optimal circadian health which is crucial for hormonal balance along with recovery and repair. Especially through winter aim to get outside in the middle of the day and get that good quality light into the body.
Support Natural Detoxification
Once you are starting to mobilize toxins you want to ensure they are rendered harmless by the liver and that you aren’t detoxing to fast which can create awful symptoms of toxicity. So as much as you can you want to support the liver and provide the proper environment for safe removal of toxins.
1. Eat plenty of leafy green vegetables. This is why I am religious about having my green smoothie daily and in all my other meals I include either broccoli, kale, silver beet (chard), spinach and cabbage.
2. Include sulfur rich foods like leeks, onions, garlic and egg yolks.
3. Eat a diet high in vitamins Bs, C, and E which will happen naturally by consuming plenty of vegetables and fruits.
4. Take supplements that help support the body through natural detoxification. Inside the online gym I share the supplements I suggest along the brands and where I get mine from.
Enhance excretion of toxins
Once you have helped to neutralize the toxins within the body you know want to get them out. So along with movement, sweating and plenty of heart pumping exercise you also want to make sure digestion is optimal. Enhance this by consuming foods that make this process easier such as probiotic foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, coconut yogurt, and kombucha along with a high quality probiotic.
Unwind and Relax
A huge part of detoxification is allow the body to relax. Stress plays a huge role on how well we detox and it can directly inflame your skin condition. I know my Perioral Dermatitis used to always flare up when I was tired or stressed. So take time to meditate, unwind, read, do thing that make you laugh and smile and relax more. Try not to stress over your skin, instead focus on really creating a balanced and healthy life in all aspects from fitness, nutrition to your lifestyle balance.
Detox is important for perioral dermatitis and all skin conditions and the better you detox the healthier you liver will be and the more efficiently your body can rebuild and recover your skin through that supply of antioxidants you deliver.
P.S Want to know what my top skincare and nutrition tips are? Check out my next post Winter Skincare And Nutrition Tips