29 Jul Nutrient Dense Beef Stroganoff
Beef is a delicious complete protein that is actually loaded with omega 3’s when you source high quality grassfed, very similar in fact to some salmon. Making sure you get adequate protein is important and this dish supplies the amino acids to build and repair, as well as sustain lean muscle. When you consume a diet with adequate protein for your body you will naturally increase levels of GH and testosterone. Both important for recovery and repair. Combine with nutrient rich vegetables, quality sleep and getting regular exercise and you have a fabulous recipe for success.
I like to throw in a few handfuls of spinach at the end for additional flavour and nutrition and serve this dish with cauliflower mash. You can make this dish even more hands free and simple by putting it all in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, and if you use chuck or crosscut beef you have a very budget friendly meal for the family. This dish can also be made with chicken, or if you are vegetarian try it out with high quality soaked well prepared chickpeas or lentils.
- 1 tablespoon organic raw coconut oil
- 500 grams beef I used rump.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 10 mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth/stock (homemade is always best)
- 1 cup coconut cream/milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat pan so its hot, add coconut oil in a pan and cook sliced beef for a minute each side, or until golden on outside, then remove from pan and let it rest.
- Turn the heat down add the butter to the juices that are left in the pan, and add in onions and garlic. Allow them to sauté for a minute then add the mushrooms and leeks. Cook until everything is soft.
- Add the broth and coconut cream/milk and allow it to simmer for a minute or so.
- Add the meat to the dish and allow it to simmer for a minute or so, season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh parsley.
Photos are taken by the fabulous Katie Horrocks