07 Sep Raw Cashew Berry Cheesecake – Dairy Free
This was the perfect dessert to make for a weekend treat. If you havn’t tried a raw cheesecake out before, don’t think its complicated or really time consuming, its not. It does take time to soak nuts and to set in freezer, but thats should be nothing to put your off because the rest is easy. Next time you have some cashews on hand, try this out, you won’t regret it.
- 2 cups cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup blanched hazelnuts
- juice of 4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berrries
- Place the cashew nuts in a bowl, cover with cold water, then let them soak overnight.
- Line or grease a 20cm tin spring form cake tin.
- Flash boil the dates, by placing them in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat and drain.
- Place dates, almonds, coconut and hazelnuts into food processor and blitz to a bread crumb consistency.
- Place the mixture into the tin and press firmly down making it even all around the edges.
- Rinse the food processor, drain and rinse the cashews. Then place them in the food processor along with lemon juice, vanilla, honey and coconut oil. Blitz until smooth and combined, then have a taste and see if it is to your liking, if its not sweet enough add a little more honey.
- Pour a layer of berries over the base and evenly distribute, I used frozen berries right out of the freezer, you would use fresh, or even puree.
- Pour the cashew mixture on top of the berries and base, smoothing it out evenly. Give the tray a tap on the bench to allow it all to settle into each other. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to set. Then enjoy!