29 Jul Upside Down Baked Berry Slice
This is one of those dishes that is not only amazing right out of the oven, but then gets better with age. Serve warm with some yogurt or cream and sit back, relax and enjoy it outside in some lovely fresh air.
Berries are an incredibly fruit, not only are low they low in sugar, they are absolute power houses of nutrition. Loaded with vitamins and minerals and one incredible source of antioxidants. If you are looking for a fantastic fruit to add to your diet, this is definitely a favourite in our house. Throw it in baking, smoothies or simply have a bowl of frozen berries to pick on after dinner to stop yourself from overeating.
I wasn’t quite sure if this was a slice, or a tart. Its has an almost cake like consistency, but then feels almost like eating a tart of some sort, either way it doesn’t really matter what it was called, because it tasted pretty fabulous!
- 3 cups of berries, I used frozen organic blue berries
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour ( you could use 1/2 rice or buckwheat flour also)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup nut milk – I used coconut you could use almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 160
- Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and combine well.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, melted honey and coconut cream then add to dry ingredients. Combine the two together well.
- Line your baking dish with your berries and evenly spread over the mix.
- Place into an oven and bake until a skewer comes out clean from the top, around 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and using a knife just slide around the edge to make it easy for removal later.
- Allow to cool slightly, then flip out onto a plate and serve with some yogurt or cream. I used some homemade coconut yogurt.
Photos taken from the fabulous Katie Harrocks