So I really wanted to make some icecream but alas I didn’t have the luxury of icecream making machine. So I made this vanilla and walnut icecream with out icecream maker. It seems so many recipes need the machine and they all use dairy, so did a bit of research on my wet sunday afternoon and learnt how to make it without machine and made without dairy. Turned out really good, and really simple to make. So no need to get a icecream making machine….how ever one would come in handy im sure for future recipes! I also just last week thought I would try out coconut nectar instead of honey. So bought some of this and this was the perfect recipe to trial it in.
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar, use honey if you don’t have this.
- Crushed Walnuts
- 2 Eggs
- We are creating a custard with mixture, so need to create a double boiler system. So get a large pot and boil some water in it, turn it down to simmer. Place a heat proof bowl into the pot and add coconut cream into the bowl. Warm the cream, don’t let boil. Add in vanilla and honey at this point.
- In another bowl whisk eggs. Then a table spoon at a time add the egg mix into the cream whisking the entire time. Keep adding the egg mixture a little at a time until all poured in. You are trying to make sure the eggs don’t scramble or curdle so whisking continuously is important.
- Once all the eggs are added keep whisking for another 2-3minutes until mix has thickened up.
- Place the bowl on the counter to cool.
- Pop in freezer once cooled and give it a whisk every 30 minutes. Takes about 2 hours.
Variations – Add berries, fruit, nuts, cinnamon what every flavors you want to explore with. I added 1/2 cup crushed walnuts to this mix.
I served this icecream up with a new cake recipe im trailing, cinnamon coconut crumble tea cake….will have a recipe up for that soon once I perfect recipe. :)