As I head towards the bottom of my freezer I start to find some of the different cuts of beef that you don’t normally cook with on a day to day basis. Today was oxtail, next week shin!
I do love oxtail. When cooked correctly it really is incredible. Absolutely jam packed with flavour and it gets all gooey and carmelized like making it hard to stop at just one. The key is to cook it slow and cook with simple flavour packed ingredients.
- 8 pieces of diced oxtail roughly 2 kg
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 stalks of celery
- 4 medium carrots
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste (preferably organic)
- 1 litre organic beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF or get out the slow cooker
- Dice the carrot, leeks, celery and put aside.
- Into a blender put broth, tomato paste, garlic cloves and onions. Blitz up until its smooth.
- Place everything into the slow cooker or crockpot and pour over the marinade, ensure everything is covered and then pop in oven or turn on slow cooker and allow it to cook for 6-8 hours or until meat is melting off the bone.
- Serve up with some fresh greens and enjoy!